.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If Shoes Could Talk

If you don't know me, I love to run. I would consider it as one of my hobbies. Strange, yes, but a good hobby/interest to say the least.

As most of you know, I am currently training for my third Chicago Marathon and any training is a lot of wear and tear on your body . . . and your shoes.

I recently just bought a new pair of Newton's (which I LOVE). But, I am going to miss my old pair. They were there for me on my worst days, my best, those ridiculously early mornings, helped me finish my least favorite hot/humid runs, treked through snow, mud, rain, sunshine . . . and many, many miles. I definitely had them way too long, but they were good to me.

I wonder what they would say if they could talk. The stories they would share about our runs together, the days my body had an easier time finishing a 13 mile run or the days my feet refused to put them on because I was too tired/lazy to get out of my warm bed on those below freezing, snowy mornings. I wonder if they would share how awful I am - or how they wish I was faster so I didn't kill the crap out of them because I am slow . . . not sure. Or what they would say they saw along the way - the places they have been: Lakefront, Cary, PA, Florida... But no matter what, good or bad, they are my best friends on my runs.

It is hard for me to get rid of running shoes. I have a few of my past pairs. This sounds strange but I am a bit sentimental when it comes to running. By no means am I a natural runner, I am slower than a frickin' tortoise, but no matter how fast/slow I run, how good/bad my run was, my shoes were there and those memories and the journey we had together are quite special. I am weird.

While I think about my running shoes and the places I go, I also think about my walk with the Lord and the places I go with Him. The good and bad days. The rainy and sunny days. I often question if my "talk" goes hand-in-hand with my "walk." I tell people I run and train, and oh boy, do I. But, I feel sometimes my "spiritual running shoes" with the Lord are often left in the closet. I wonder what stories they would share, neglect? Loss of Joy? The good days? My tears? Hurt and Pain?

This summer has been a challenging one and a dry one to be honest with you . . . Time for a new start . . .

My old newtons are on the left (clearly) and my loud, ridiculously colored new shoes on the right:



I am excited to start my new journey with my new shoes. They had their first run in Lake Placid, NY. Pretty cool place to start breaking them in if you ask me.

And I am excited to start a new refreshed journey with the Lord as well. I am taking off neglect/hurt/pain and putting on joy and trust.

Excited to see where these shoes take me over the next few months . . . and most importantly, where the Lord takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment